Thursday, February 28, 2008

McKenna's GPP


Thursday Training Plan:
12:00pm Lunch time. Hurdle work, static holds, pink.

7:45pm Feeling good today. I do not know what it is about LPS but it just seems to put everything in alignment. On paper you shrug and say big deal, I have done or do most of that stuff. Yeah, you probably have, but until you apply it in the order and time it was designed keep your mouth shut. Try it I dare you, double dare you. It only takes 30 minutes twice a week. Let’s see Brian Alvarez or Michael Polinko try this and then go back to a Boflex.

The plan tonight is Recovery and Range of Motion work. It will be a repeat of Tuesday’s workout. As you might notice I have elected to keep GPP in my workout plans. If you have been reading Tom Mastrocola's blog http://tommasomastrocola.blogspot.com/2008/02/bear-hunting.html then you noticed he just eliminated GPP from his training and replaced it with SPP as the season approaches. Unfortunately Pro-Wrestling is not seasonal thus I need an alternate strategy. Had this been Football, baseball, soccer etc… I would have followed Tom’s lead. GPP is still an area I need to work out, as far as doing it 2 days before a match I am not really concerned as my diet is right on and I am getting plenty of sleep.


Something’s in life standout. One such instance for me was Coach McKenna discussing GPP. I could not tell you whether he wrote it on a forum or mentioned it at Cert class, but I remember him saying “I have my lineman recite blocking assignments during GPP.” This really made an impression on me. Tonight my plan going into GPP was to envision each opponent and what moves would be best suited to each of my four competitors.
This would go something like:
If I got the Beast cornered what is my best offense? He is big, heavy, then punch, punch, punch, shoot into opposite corner might work.
If he hits it chest on then what? Clothesline?, Russian Leg Sweep, can I get him in a submission? Octopus perhaps or is he too big? Cover? Start working the arm? What if he turns and hits the buckles facing me? Drop kick to the knees? Elbow?
What if he reverses somehow?
My hope was to come up with a loose set of sequences for each competitor. Unfortunately this, like LPS, sounds and looks easy on paper. Doing it while performing GPP is extremely, extremely, extremely hard. Sure the first round or two might not be bad, but after that……
I have yet to master this feat. It went well for a couple of rounds but I had to abandon my efforts to keep a kid working in with me motivated and thinking of other things rather than how little oxygen their was going into his lungs. Hey that was the deal, I would teach him ladder work, but he had to join me for GPP and not quit. He did fine, but I had to bite my tongue as I tried to get him working out with me months ago well before the start of track season which starts Monday. Too little to late. Learn a lesson there kiddies.

Tune-Age of the Day: “Schism” by one of my all time favorites Tool. I know the pieces fit. I just need to fit them.

Ahh Grasshopper you have returned, good. Remember your Affirmations: Be positive. Avoid negatives. “Do not say I will not give up during GPP tonight.” Your brain will interpret it as “I will give up during GPP tonight.” Instead say “Tonight I will only do 5 rounds of GPP.” Now go give me 5 rounds and don’t forget your blocking assignments or I will have Coach McKenna pay you a visit!

No comments: