Monday, February 25, 2008

Barometer of Progression


Once more it has come time to take a reading upon the Barometer of Progression.
This Saturday marks my third big match since making my return to wrestling and possibly the biggest to date. This potential marquee matchup will be a true test of my training to date and possibly be a barometer of what is to come as it has the potential to be a make or break situation for me. If I excel and perform to perfection then it will be “Main Event” time once again for JJCREWGUY. If not I stand the possibility of falling back with the pack till another opportunity arises, and you only get so many chances.

I hate mediocrity!
I am little surprised this tremendous opportunity has presented itself so early in my return as I have not really had a chance to concentrate on my sports specific skills. This is of great concern to me as it limits my arsenal of moves and causes the match to move extremely fast. What do I mean as fast? By now you have heard the term “Stillness in Motion.” Imagine the Matrix, your "Mr.Anderson", and just learned to see that bullet or punch coming at you in slow motion. Now imagine a real bullet or punch coming after you in real life. Fast or slow? Fast right? Well right now the matches are “fast” for me. It takes a little bit for the commands from my brain to reach the limbs and react accordingly. This has nothing to do with age or brain damage it is just lack of practice. What I need is to get the match to slow down and this will only be accomplished through Sports Specific Training, and experience, at this point. Luckily for the short term I can compensate this lack of Sports Specific Training through my Renegade training skills which remarkably carry over well, and a little thing called Charisma.

This week in the JJCREWGUY blog we will follow my training as I lead up to the “Marquee Match.” I will tell you how I plan to come up with a game plan for success and how I train the week before a big match, which honestly is still in experimentation.

So here we go:
Mondays routine: I hate going to gyms on Mondays, just too many people and not enough mirror space for me to stare at the guns while doing 16 sets of biceps and 16 sets of triceps. Not to mention there will not be a bench, incline bench or chest machine in sight without a dozen people waiting. So if I don't have any clients or classes I either do a home based workout, head to the park, or do it at work when everyone clears out. This week we'll take care of business at work, so this is how the week starts:
12:00pm Lunch time. Hurdle work, static holds, pink. I do this every lunch hour at my first job while the rest of the jokers are heading to Burger King or surfing the net.
7:00pm Hurdle work, Red2 basics, Kettlebell swing, Kettlebell Snatch, Kettlebell cleans, step ups, bodyweight box squats, broomstick overhead squats, one legged kettlebell deadlifts, LPS, Pink and few other odds and ends (hey can't give away all the secrets, I need to eat too. You want to know those little odds or ends, perhaps learn some kettlebell training? Hire me, or buy the kettlebell dvd off the Renegadetraining website http://www.renegadetraining.com/kettlebell_dvd.html.) Like how I worked that plug in? Like I said I got to eat too buddy.

Tune-Age of the Day: Finally a DJ with some grapefruits. Working Man by Rush on the radio, not satellite at 12:35! GOOD TUNE!

Ah Grasshopper remember always: “Coordinate your forces so that there is a minimum conflict and maximum effect. One uses four ounces to deflect four thousand pounds.” I Ching #61

1 comment:

JMcKenna said...

Great work, JJ. Workout looks great. I look foward to seeing the rest of the week.