Thursday, May 1, 2008

Perfect Posture

Perfect Posture, it is a term you hear often in Renegade Training. So important is this component to training and everyday life that it is included within the coveted Renegade Concepts of Training. Next time you are walking around the park, or in the gym take a hard look at the people around you. Are they performing their target activities and tasks with perfect posture? Is that buff dude in front of the mirror curling a bar with 45’s doing it the way it was meant too? Is that lady with weights in her hands as she does laps around the track slouching?
Yeah, big deal you might say. Well it is a big deal and I am going to tell you why. What happens when you do not adhere to perfect posture is you develop negative patterns. These negative patterns work, over time, to erode your natural patterns of movement. When this happens injury is just a movement away.

Now by reading some of my blogs and seeing I am a Sr. Renegade Trainer you may believe I am infallible. Well let me assure you I am not infallible nor am I immortal. Like most successful people I continue to learn and evolve with every passing day. Every so often I get a not so gentle reminder on the lessons of Perfect Posture, and the need for Balance. (By balance, I do not mean standing atop a swiss ball or a surfboard, but rather a balance among musculature.)
Several years ago I was involved in quite a devastating car wreck that saw injuries to my back and neck. I have spent five years thus far re-habilitating these injuries and will no doubt spend the rest of my life addressing these concerns. The problem is, because of the injury, I have several imbalances. Many of the imbalances I have corrected in my training, yet a few are being very stubborn. I am fully aware of these imbalances which affect my posture. I address them regularly, but every so often the body reminds me that these imbalances need to be addressed a little more attentively than other areas. Unfortunately I see in my business many of these imbalances or negative patterns arising due to poor posture and not necessarily a car wreck or other unavoidable injury. This must not be allowed!

So listen up Grasshopper, we will return to the “Ultimate Handstand” next week. For this week I want you to join me in re-evaluating your training and look for possible imbalances, negative patterns, or poor posture. To Excel you must adhere to the following:
1. You must not allow imbalances or negative patterns to form.
2. You must have perfect posture at all times.
3. You must continually set aside your ego and search for any imbalances no matter your skill level.
4. Continually work to perfect your posture in all areas of life.
5. Address any weaknesses, imbalances, or postural concerns IMMEDIATELY!
6. If by chance you do get injured; seek professional help, relax, take a step back and search for the cause. Pretend you are a detective and find the culprit, or culprits. Work to eliminate the apparent weakness.
7. Most importantly, and this is the hardest, be patient! Correcting any imbalances, postural concerns, or recovering from injury may take days, months, or even years. But it must be done.
8. Don’t ever quit or surrender.

Jump to it Grasshopper.

No comments: