Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Art of Balance


I see you have returned Grasshopper. I have given you extra time to complete your assignment. How did you do?
Find any negative patterns?
What weaknesses did you uncover?
What have you done to correct your imbalances?

For myself I have uncovered a few weaknesses in the kinetic chain that need to be addressed. Luckily, or unluckily depending on your view, my active participation in sports, both contact and non contact, combined with the ballistic nature of Renegade workouts allow weakness to be readily apparent. Starting today I have turned my focus in strengthening the T-8, T-9 region of the back (middle, upper) along with a need to address areas around the first rib and transition points of the neck. To strengthen these areas I will add in a few isolation exercises to compliment my compound movements. For example: on days that I do not include jump shrugs in my workouts I will include another version of shrugs done at a prehab rep range of 12. I also plan on doing isometric neck movements daily with plans to slowly incorporate weighted flexion movements. To target the upper/middle back region I will insure my workouts include one or more of the following: pull-ups, chin-ups, rope climbing, heavy bag work, and/or bent over rows. All work will of course be done with Perfect Posture. As with any weakness or injury I am prepared for a minor set back now and then. Look at re-habing or strengthening your weaknesses like walking. Two steps forward, one back. Three steps forward, one back. Four steps forward….you get the point. Don’t get discouraged or expect an overnight miracle. Just keep a positive attitude and keep at it and your Art of Balance shall proceed stroke by stroke.
Easy, right Grasshopper? Now what is your excuse?

Ahh Grasshopper, are you ready for step 3 towards the Ultimate Handstand?
I knew you were. Lets pick up at the end of step 2 and resume the wall balance handstand position. This time I want you to ease your legs back so only your toes are in contact with the wall. Feel it in the arms and hands? Look at those wrists working, beautiful. Now take one foot completely off the wall, but be sure to keep the knee locked and outstretched. Got it? Can you take the other foot away from the wall now too? Practice this Art of Balance daily and I will return next week for step 4.

No comments: