Monday, February 16, 2009

Business Lesson: "Don't judge a book by its cover."

In my last blog we learned that “Free has no value” when it comes to business. Let me be perfectly clear, this is from a business standpoint and not a friendship/family standpoint.
For some reason the growing consensus of people now days believe that they deserve a service and should not have to pay for it. I guess they think I have a money tree, my own dairy farm, and a produce stand in addition to an electrical plant all in my back yard. If you do not charge for your service, for whatever reason, then the customer does not value it as much as if they had to pay for it. Had I made “Joe” pay for his training session, then I could guarantee he would have been there Tuesday night ready to train.
This brings me to your next business lesson; do not judge a book by its cover. I know a little cliché but oh so true. This particular observation all started in my first business venture of owning a landscape business. I noticed that the customers who had money and by all rights could pay their monthly bill often defaulted. Whether right or wrong I choose to run my businesses on the honor system. I generally charge at the end of the month for services rendered, not pending. Not to stereo-type but nearly all of these problem clients had really nice houses, your typical oversized suv, a nice car, and usually (I guess this one is relevent to the eyes of the beholder) the “trophy wife" and half the time a boat. In contrast those who had little money and were living off Social Security, or a passed love one’s pension always paid promptly and were very, very appreciative of my services. Unfortunately, the same pattern seems to be emerging in the training industry too and looks to force me into charging for services pending and not rendered, at least to one half of my potential clientele. It is a sad day when the honor system is bled of honor.

On a positive note, our trainee “Joe” did eventually show up, but did things go as we hoped? Was Joe appreciative? Doe’s Joe have heart? Is Joe going to make the team?
Stay tuned! Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel.

No comments: